'Teenage Dreams in a Teenage Circus'

Supreme Source for Your Musical Inspiration

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Born Ruffians

This band is a Canadian band, but instead of following more in the footsteps of other Canadians, I think they follow more in the New York/LA Indie Band Scene (i.e. Vampire Weekend/Deadly Syndrome).  To me they have an upbeat lively energy that is lacking in the new Vampire Weekend songs.  I feel that they should/will take the void (oh yeah, it's gonna be a big one *sarcastic*) created by a... bad... new Vampire Weekend album.  Even though these songs came out in 2008 (ages ago...), I've just recently come to love it, and will be really looking forward to what they do with their 2010 LP, so here ya go.


mp3: Foxes Mate for Life
mp3: Hummingbird

They also have an ambitious (if you can still be that without being much different from the original) cover of Grizzly Bear's "Knife."  As much as I absolutely love Grizzly Bear and 'Knife' (it completely captures the sound of Yellow House with its ethereal creaking and crooning), I'm undecided on which I like better.  I feel like the cover shows us what Grizzly Bear would sound like if they had followed a more typical indie band sound. Another thing I really like about the song is that it (at least the beginning of it) sounds as if it could be in the soundtrack to a movie about the late 50's early 60's.  Anyone agree?

mp3: Born Ruffians :: Knife (Grizzly Bear Cover)

-- A Teenage Elephant

P.S.  Something that makes me like them even more... They have a song called Kurt Vonnegut.

1 comment:

  1. you really pick great songs-- keep posting so I have plenty to listen to

    ReplyDelete

Searches?