'Teenage Dreams in a Teenage Circus'

Supreme Source for Your Musical Inspiration

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

New Videos/New Vampire Weekend Review

I'm going to start a segment that I will try to do weekly/at least I will have a bunch of videos right now because I have just recently started my blog so there is some stuff I need to catch up on but here we go anyways.  The Vampire Weekend review is really late.. but I had to review it anyways.

Small Black :: Despicable Dogs
This is really interesting video by Small Black (who I wrote about in an earlier post).  I don't really know what to say about it/if there is anything to say about it... I think you should just watch it.  It reminds me a little of the Wrestler...  Tell me what you think.  I really love this band and their sound.


Grizzly Bear :: Ready, Able
Veckatimest had to be one of if not my favorite album of 2009.  Everybody about it is awesome, from the album artwork to everything about the songs.  The album flows really well and is truly a full album... both in terms of the sound and the fact that there isn't a single dud on it.  Here is the new video to possible my favorite song on the album, "Ready, Able."  It's a really cool, beautiful, and fun music video to watch.  It must have taken forever with the stop-motion animation, but it looks incredible.

Ready, Able


Vampire Weekend :: Cousins, Horchata
Vampire Weekend is one of my favorite bands - their first album blew my away when I first heard it... I love their multi-instrumental sound and I really feel like all their songs have a lot of emotion/are really fun.  "I Stand Corrected" has got to be my favorite song by them.  They have a second album coming out January 12th on XL Records called Contra.  I've been getting the feeling that it is going to be a sophomore slump... I feel that the first album had a unique sound that duplicating would be pointless and even trying to duplicate wouldn't be very good... It was just a complete album that doesn't need anything else.  They have already released two singles from the new album, the first of which, "Horchata" is pretty stereotypical VW: preppy lyrics (especially the rhyming in the beginning), african sounding drums, preppy sound... but I don't think it's very good.  I don't like the xylophone (is that what it is) in the beginning, the sound of the vocals in the beginning... I feel like they are taking the "We're Preppy, Deal With It" too far, even if they are trying to make a joke out of it.  I do like the part with the violins in the song a bit more, but still as a whole I don't love it.  It has grown on me (it is worth listening to a bunch... I promise your opinions will change) but I don't think it's great.  You can download it for free over at their website.
I like "Cousins" a bit more, but again I feel like it's not as great as the first album, and even if it was...It's been done already!  My theory though is that Vampire Weekend should just not put out any albums.  The first album should be all we have to remember them by...Greatness.  Maybe what I'm saying is crazy and call me an idiot... but that's just what I feel.  If the new album comes out and I love it...I PROMISE I WILL COME BACK AND ISSUE AN APOLOGY.  Plenty of bands have had great first albums and then great second albums, so I understand.  I really love the video for "Cousins" though... It really captures the upbeat-ness and peppy-ness of the song, and is visually awesome.  I'm sure it took loads of time to make, what with the countless arrangements of location, wardrobe etc.

Cousins



mp3: Horchata


Also check out this awesome video for Ambling Alp by Yeasayer in an earlier post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Searches?